Sunday, January 24, 2010

The real work begins

After hauling the boat out, it was time to remove 30 years of paint and accumulated build-up. We had the bottom sand blasted removing most of the paint (and most of the gelcoat). Then the boat was blocked on stands and I moved aboard. Scott headed back to Salt lake, I don't think he could stand anymore fun. I started to evaluate what it was going to take to get this boat up to speed. I soon came to the realization that it would would be easier to rip it all out and start over. I started the "sidecut surgery". The engine had to be removed, but unfortunately there was no hatch above it. Not to let a little thing like that stand in my way, I got out the jigsaw and made the required hatch out of the cockpit floor. Then I proceeded to remove all the plumbing, components, and wiring from the engine room. Needless to say this was a dirty job, there had been an exhaust leak in the bilge for quite some time and everything was coated with a thick layer of soot. I looked like a chimney sweep after each day of work. As I removed the plumbing, I found that over the years, the previous owner had used a variety of plumbing repair methods (including duct tape). I removed, copper pipe, CPVC pipe, plastic tubing, galvanized pipe, black rubber hose, and a variety of fittings and adapters. All the batteries had to come out, thank god for the built-in crane (some people may call it a boom for the sail, but that is far off in my future). I stripped the engine room down to bare walls and removed all the insulation (does anyone know a good asbestos attorney). Then the cleaning began, draining the bilge water into the marinas waste oil tanks (it was almost all waste oil). I began at the top and started scrubbing down the entire engine room, after several days of this I could actually get in and out of the engine room without leaving a black trail in my wake. Suzy had determined that I was having way to much fun, and that I needed to come home for Christmas. I packed my clothes and flew home in late December. When I got home, my laundry went immediately into the trash. There was no way Suzy would even allow it in her washer/dryer.

No comments:

Post a Comment